Attempted to outrun the warm-up today in hopes of finding good skiing up high... and were moderately sucessful.
- Sleeting at the trailhead and well saturated snowpack to ~ 4700'
- Snowing above 5000'
- Found 10cm of heavy, wet new snow ontop of 30+cm of colder, drier snow from earlier this week
- New snow was predictably breaking under foot while ski cutting steep test slopes (above 40 degrees) but showing no signs of propagation
- Seemed to simply be a storm slab and loose wet avalanche problem day with mediocre upside down powder skiing
- No obvious signs of instability (cracking, collapsing or recent avalanches) observed
- Temps warming throughout the short tour and raining below 5000' at 1230pm
Forecast Hotline: 406.257.8402
Call or text an observation: 406.66AVYOB