FAC Internship Details: Click Here
The snowpack around and above the Going to the Sun Road showed the effects of the warm weekend weather. We observed:
The weekend's warm-up triggered avalanche that ran Saturday and Sunday:
- Widespread Loose Wet cycle above 6k', including 2 that hit the road out of Haystack creek
- 4 cornice-triggered slab avalanches on the Heaven's Peak L.O. shoulder (NE aspect, 6-7k', D1-D2, R2)
- Heaven's Peak Glide pocket #1 partially released over the weekend (D2.5 - R2)
- Peak 7774 Glide pockets #1, #3, & #4 all released (D2.5-D3? - R3)
- Peak 7850 Glide pocket North released (D2 - R2)
3 Glide avalanches noted near Mount Geduhn and the first Glide avalanche pocket released on Heaven's Peak.
4 new crowns observed from the weekend along the Heaven's Peak Lookout Ridgeline.
Widespread Wet Loose avalanche cycle throughout the upper elevations of Glacier National Park producing avalanches on E, SE, S, SW, and W aspects of varying sizes.
Forecast Hotline: 406.257.8402
Call or text an observation: 406.66AVYOB